Finding books on Pilipin@ mythology written by a Pilipin@ is rare. There are some out there on general folklore but some of the folklore published in those books are influenced during Spanish colonization.
If you want to look into our indigenous mythologies you will have to look at the historical documents written by the Spaniards and the earliest dictionaries. I know it doesn’t help much because they are still through the perspective of foreigners eyes not ours, but sadly we don’t have any historical and precolonial written record written by us except the Laguna Copperplate and to an extent the Calatagan Pot which is still being debated on what is written though most agree it was a pot used for ritual purposes and the inscription on the pot was a part of it.
So if you are going to research our precolonial mythologies, beliefs, and practices, your best bet is reading the old Spanish written documents on our ancestors. Whether we like it or not those are our only resources in looking back at our precolonial past until we find more artifacts, especially ones that hopefully have some writing like the Laguna Copperplate, that can help us uncover the layers of our history.
Now as for as for your question on where to read information on our mythologies and folklore here is a list I have come up with. Majority of them are links to the English translated Spanish historical accounts which mentions precolonial deities that today have been completely forgotten by a majority, then there are a few that have been written by Pilipin@ anthropologists and historians but they focus on the mythologies of the ethnic groups that weren’t touched and influenced by the Spaniards such as the Igorot groups, the Sulod Bukidnon of Panay, and T’boli, One notable anthropologist is F. Landa Jocano who in particular studied the Sulod Bukidnon of Panay and learned of the Hinilawod Epic of Panay from an epic chanter. There are also some more epics from Panay recorded after Jocano by UP professor Alicia P. Magos who followed in Jocano’s footsteps and has spent more than 20 years recording, writing, and translating the various epics from the various remaining epic chanters in Iloilo, Capiz, Tapaz, and Calinog. I’ll break the list down in those two sections as well as another section on resources by non-Pilipin@s as there are a few.
Spanish Historical Accounts
- Relacion de las Yslas Filipinas in 1582 by Miguel de Loarca (scroll down a bit for the English translation)
- Sucesos de las Islas Filipinas in 1609 by Antonio de Morga
- Customs of the Tagalogs (two relations). Juan de Plasencia, O.S.F.; Manila, October 21 1589
- Relacion de las Islas Filipinas (Part 1) in 1604 by Father Pedro Chirino
- Relacion de las Islas Filipinas (Part 2) in 1604 by Father Pedro Chirino
- The Muñoz text of Francisco Alcina’s History of the Bisayan Islands (1668), translation by Paul S. Lietz (note: The link only brings you to the page of the 4 volumes. However, only volume 3 is available online. This volume however does contain info on deities and beliefs so it is something to look at in terms of researching our mythologies. I highly suggest reading all 4 volumes of Alcina’s Historia de Las Islas e Indios de Bisayas which you can find the English translation for by the Kobak and Guiterrez editions)
- Relation of the Filipinas Islands 1640 by a religious who lived there for eighteen years (Most agree that the person who wrote this account was Father Diego de Bobadilla)
- Native races and their customs, from Labor Evangélica, 1663 by Francisco Colin
Research by non-Pilipin@s
- Diccionario mitologico de Filipinas by Ferdinand Blumentritt
- Barangay: Sixteenth-century Philippine Culture and Society by William Henry Scott
- Looking for the Prehispanic Filipino by William Henry Scott
Epics and folklore researched by Pilipin@s
- Philippines Epics and Ballads Archive by Ateneo (this has some of the actual recordings of the epic chanters but some don’t have the translations in English yet, they are only translated into Tagalog, and even some aren’t translated at all, however there are brief notes on the epics in pdf format. Also you will need to register an account but its free and you don’t need to attend a school in the Philippines to access the archive, just put in your school name in the field that asks)
- Any book and essay by F. Landa Jocano.
- Any book and essay by E. Arsenio Manuel.
- Anything by Francisco Demetrio, S.J.
- Towards a Classification of Bisayan Folk Beliefs and Customs
- Creation Myths Among the Early Filipinos
And that’s all that I can come up with for now. I know I am missing a few from what I have read and researched but this should be a good start for now.
r u l e s ;
#1 must be following this golden boy
#2 must be a roleplay-based blog
#3 likes don’t count, reblog as many times as you like
#4 but don’t spam your followers, love&care for them
#5 ends in a week, on sunday, september 21th
p r i z e ;
a personalised theme for your blog.
one winner chosen by random number generator.
I am bored and not quiet in the mood to make icons
for myself so let’s do a
giveaway. because i like making things for people.
Rules are as always, must be following me, and then
don’t unfollow because that is rude.
Reblogs only. Giveaway ends at 10:15 AM.
And there will be 3 winners.
IF I SHOULD BE QUEEN, TOMORROW || a mix for the young queen, thrust onto the throne too early, unprepared [ listen@8tracks ]
01. Dario Marianelli - The Queen’s Story (from The Brothers Grimm) / 02. Soap&Skin - Spiracle / 03. Emilie Autumn - Willow / 04. Kate Havnevik - Timeless / 05. Elliot Goldenthal - Libera Me (from Interview With the Vampire) / 06. Susanne Sundfør - Father, Father / 07. Lily Holbrook - Welcome to the Slaughterhouse / 08. Sissel - She Walks in Beauty 09. Dark Dark Dark - Heavy Heart / 10. Miklós Rózsa - Waltz (from Madame Bovary) / 11. The Romanovs - Fever Pitch / 12. Camille Saint-Saëns - Danse Macabre, Op. 40 / 13. Hungry Lucy - Rebirth
No I can’t, I don’t know how!
do you ever see a person you used to be friends with and you’re like “glad i got the fuck outta that one”
High Quality Hans in 500px [5/?]
- "Winter is coming."
- "I am not your little princess."
- "I don’t want to be a queen, I want to be the queen.”
- "We’ve have idiot kings and we’ve had vicious kings, but I don’t know if we’ve ever had a vicious idiot for a king!"
- "More wine."
- "Everyone who isn’t us in an enemy."
- "I am the god of tits and wine."
- "The next time you raise a hand to me will be the last time you have hands."
- "Tears aren’t a woman’s only weapon. The best one is between her legs."
- "The gods have no mercy, that’s why they’re gods."
- "Nobody cares what your father once told you."
- "There are no men like me. Only me."
- "Why have the gods condemned me to love a hateful woman?"
- "Everything’s better with some wine in the belly."
- "You were kind to me, I remember."
- "All these years and I still feel like an outsider when I come here."
- "I wish I was the monster that you think I am!"
- "My brother has his sword, I have my mind."
- "Woman? Is that meant to insult me?"
- "Honor made you leave, and honor brought you back."
- "Most of us live and die in the same corner where we were born and never get to see any of it (the world). I don’t want to be most of us."
- "A man without friends is a man without power."
- "Everyone is mine to torment!"
- "A lion doesn’t concern himself with the opinions of sheep."
- "A mother does not flee without her children."
- "Any man who must say ‘I am the king’ is no true king."
- "I will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who have wronged me."
- "I want to look him in the eye and ask, ‘Why?’"
- "They’re a family. I’ve never had a family."
- "I can be your family."
- "Those who have the most power have the least grace."
- "I will answer injustice with justice."
- "I am not questioning your honor. I’m denying its existence."
- "All I know is that she was the one thing I ever wanted."
- "What we don’t know is usually what gets us killed."
- "I did what I did not to slight you, but because I loved another."
- "Given the opportunity, what do we do to those who have hurt the ones we love?"
- "I will not become a page in someone else’s history book."
- Anonymous (via palmist)
i still have a few memes in my inbox as well a number of replies, but i’ll do them tomorrow or at least attempt to lol
lets hope that global perspective class doesn’t fry my brain cuz that would suck if it did, especially since i have that huge break before my last class. if that happens i might just watch criminal minds or whatever movie i can find on netflix.
wouldn’t want elsa to go off with heather again to smoke pot cuz yeah no she does not respond to me if that happens.
kaiserin.So I’m reading something for my Global Perspectives class (wow this reading is short for once) and I’m honestly wondering what this professor is trying to get at. I mean I understand that this class we are meant to examine global issues and try to understand what links this world together and so on, but with the way the professor structures the class it’s really a mess. This Tuesday, I legit sat in that class confused as to what this professor was getting at. And I mean confused. I wasn’t the only one too. A large number of us were so confused and when someone asked her to clarify a few points she made things even more confusing.
Honestly, that class could be super interesting and fun and what not but it’s not and it makes me sad.
◤ anna ◢
Anna’s face suddenly took a one eighty from that smile of her, remembering exactly what happened last evening. And a part of her felt bad for forgetting all that trouble from the night before—sure, she happened to have almost fallen from the roof to the cobblestone that morning, but still.
”Oh yeah, listen to this! That man, what was his name, Herr Pollard or something, he was asking me all these questions right? Which, you know, I was polite about but he just went on and on,” she said, failing to see the irony over complaining about a fellow blabbermouth, “And then Kristoff came over to try and save me from this guy, and the man suddenly asks about him even though he knew about him already and then… you know what he calls him? Calls him a ‘dirty Lapp’.”
✕ ✕ ┊she of ice & snow ;;
Elsa warned Kristoff this would happen. She warned him of the words that would be thrown at his face carelessly. She warned him of the trials and tribulations he would and must face if he wished to court her sister. She did not bother to tell him of the struggles he would face if he wished to marry Anna, for she did not want to scare him. Of course, Kristoff was intelligent and would figure it out for himself.
❝Why am I not surprised?❞
Slender, chilled fingers reached up to rub her forehead.
A sigh escaped her lips and she reached over and took
Anna’s hand into her own.
❝Have they said anything about you? Put you down for your relationship
◤ nebula ◢
❝ How should I know? I never dealt with your parents. And if you remembered correctly, you’d know Thanos never intended on having your head. Just your power. Your master of coins should know where this discrepancy is. It’s his job, isn’t it? ❞
✕ ✕ ┊ she of ice & snow ;;
❝This is a new master of coin. The old one was murdered in his sleep
by one of his many whores just before I ascended to the throne.
He searched and search and he could not find any. I even helped.
— —- I need to find those funds in order to rebuild the navy.❞
❝I do wonder though, how did Thanos discover my powers?
From my interactions with my people, they made it quite
clear that my parents did everything to conceal the fact they
once had a child with powers.❞
You just screwed up my plans to go to sleep. I hope you’re happy.
YES #no regrets
BECAUSE THAT SHOW
I wish someone had recent videos, especially a complete one of Jackie, but OH WELL.